Review: Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins


Hex Hall - Rachel Hawkins - Hyperion Books

BOOK 1 - HEX HALL TRILOGY




I adore YA Fiction, and I'm a huge fan of the whole fantasy/supernatural thing. But I can honestly say that I haven't read much that involved witches, so Hex Hall was a bit of a random pick for me at the library. I also totally judged the book on it's cover, but really... who wouldn't. 

As it turned out the random pick was also a very lucky pick. Hex Hall was amazing!

Sophia Mercer is a teen witch who keeps getting into trouble with her magic. So much trouble that her absent father ships her off to Hex Hall, a boarding school for prodigium (magical kids for us muggles). 

Being forced into a school with other witches, werewolves and fairies isn't Sophie's exact idea of a good time. Then she gets roomed with a pink obsessed vampire.

♥ What I loved ♥
I loved Sophie as a character. She was pretty kick-ass from the first chapter, with just a big enough sprinkling of nerves. At no point in the book does she become annoying. I loved her from beginning to end. The other characters were all fantastic too. I can't think of a single wasted character.
I also loved the school. I am not going to throw any spoilers in here, but the world building is fantastic and made me want to go to Hex Hall myself, if only to sit by the lake.
Hex Hall, as a story, is really well written. The story flows perfectly and I literally couldn't put it down. There are so many twists that I was kept guessing right until the end. 

♥ What I didn't love ♥
I didn't love that this book is a part of a series - and that I didn't realise until the end. 
Of course that isn't the loss of a heart. The reason I gave this four hearts was because I felt that the language was a little simplistic. I think this may be because this book was aimed at the lower end of the age range for YA, but I do think that a reader at this level could cope with more detailed descriptions. 

I would recommend this for - Harry Potter Fans and fans of the movie "The Craft.


Posted in , , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.