Let's Talk: Playdough

I was talking to a writer friend yesterday about the process of creating a story. Be it a short story or a novel we have decided that the best thing to describe it as is playdough.
This is why.

As a child I used to spend a lot of time with playdough. I had multiple colours of dough, a tray and tools stolen from my Mum's kitchen drawers. I would begin with lots of separate balls of dough in little pots on the table. I'd select a colour and I'd begin to mould it into the shape that I had in my head. 
Eventually I would take a second colour and add it to my sculpture. I'd blend and roll the colours together, mixing tones to create new dough. Before I knew it I'd be left with a great mess of muddy brown and my mother yelling at me for walking bright red dough into her cream carpet. (That stain was still there when the carpet was changed a few years later.)

Now I play with words instead. Much less messy, but they still get me into trouble.
I begin with lots of separate balls of words in my notebook, a tray and a laptop stolen from the shelf under the TV. I select a ball and begin to mould it into the shape that I have in my head.
Eventually I add another ball of words. Forming a new paragraph that I add to the first. I blend and roll the words together, mixing words to create new sentences. Before I know it I'm left with a great mess of spelling mistakes and my other half yelling at me for burning the dinner.

As you see, writing is just like playdough. Only this time with less stains.

Posted in . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.