Review: Partials Trilogy by Dan Wells



Partials Trilogy - Dan Wells - HarperCollins

BOOK 1 - PARTIALS
BOOK 2 - FRAGMENTS
BOOK 3 - RUINS




I picked up the first book in this trilogy at my local library by unapologetically judging it by its cover. 

 I am not ashamed, and I am glad that the book's innards didn't let down its skin tone.

Partials is set eleven years after the world ends in a series of wars and the outbreak of a deadly disease. A disease which causes every newborn baby to die horribly shortly after birth.
The human race is ageing and dying out and they have no idea how to fix it. Kira Walker, a young medic, is determined to find a cure. At any cost.

I wouldn't say the story captured me at first. The first few chapters were difficult to get my teeth into and I didn't find myself drawn to the characters at all. This could have been due to a busy period in my life but honestly, if a book is going to grab me it would succeed whilst I was attempting to jump a lava filled volcano. A little shopping and cleaning wouldn't stop it.

As the story developed I found myself clawing for a few more moments to read. "Just one more chapter" became my 4am mantra. I just couldn't put it down.

♥ What I loved ♥
I adored the female characters, especially Kira and Heron. 
Kira is strong and grows through the series. She is smart and not afraid to take control when needed, or to let go when needed too. More amazingly Kira learns from her mistakes. This is something I don't see enough of in a female protagonist.

Heron is another favourite, mainly because she is arrogant and extremely annoyingly fickle. She's two faced and self centred... And not even sorry.

As for the writing, one thing that struck me after the first book, and especially by the third is how it developed into a formula not unlike we see in game of thrones. The story introduces more characters and tells the story in multiple voices. It isn't easy to keep hold of multiple threads and multiple smaller stories within a big one. Its even harder to do that with a level of success and without leaving massive plot holes. Dan wells has managed it here and very well indeed. The stories all flow perfectly and every end is tied up nicely. The twists just keep coming all the way through the series so that the reader has to keep reading.


♥ What I didn't love ♥
Any of the male characters. Not that I hated them, but none of them stood out and none of them really stuck in my mind. I think the story was too big and unless a character  was also big, like Heron, they got easily drowned. 

I would recommend this for - This book is amazing for those interested in genetics and science. I found the science very interesting and the constant through line of science vs morals. Great arguments came up regularly and gave so much more depth to what could easily have become just another dystopian story.
The difference here was that the problem wasn't government or a group of people. It was science, biology and human nature. Not the easiest of enemies to defeat IMHO.

Posted in , , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.