Meme: Top 10 Reader/Blogger Confessions

Confession posts are everywhere! I have seen them on many of the blogs that I have visited this month, regardless of their subject. It seems that releasing a confession into the wild is a good thing.

So I decided to give it a go!

Being new to book blogging I have mixed these up.
My top 10 reader/blogger confessions:

1. I DON'T READ NEW RELEASES. I want to, I really do. Unfortunately, up until recently, I haven't had the budget to pre-order books or to buy them whenever I wanted them. I got most of my books from sales, charity shops and libraries. Very rarely I had a little extra cash, but my wishlist was so long that I would usually buy a book that I really wanted rather than a new release. I am working on this now that my budget is better but I'm still working through the wishlist.

2. I SPEND TOO MUCH TIME ON DESIGN. Like, wayyy too much time. I can spend hours staring at my blog and wondering if it would look better with a different template or font scheme. I am never happy with it for more than a few days.

3. SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE A PRETENDER. Being a new blogger has nothing to do with this, but sometimes I feel like I'm intruding. Like I am not supposed to be doing this and that I am pretending. Then I realise how welcome the community has made me feel and I get past it.

4. I DON'T LIKE AUDIO-BOOKS. Not because I'm a book snob, but because... well... I fall asleep. I can't be the only one who needs something keeping her mind and hands active. Can I?

5. I AM EASILY DISTRACTED. When blogging or reading I get distracted by everything. I need to turn off the TV, internet and have a completely empty room to focus for any length of time.

6. I HATE SAYING NEGATIVE THINGS. Even if they are part of an honest, fair review. If I have to say "I didn't like..." about a book it feels as though I am being mean to the author. I can do it, but I don't like it.

7. I GET OVER EXCITED ABOUT COMMENTS. Honestly, even if it's something really simple I love comments. I have been known to squeal loudly when I see a new comment too. It feels like validation (see #3).

8. I USUALLY PREFER THE VILLAIN. It's weird, but I tend to find myself trying to defend the villain's actions. Even when they are indefensible. For example, Voldermort was just jealous of Harry, he wanted friends and to be liked. Yeah... it's nuts.

9. I AM A BAD LIBRARY USER, ON PURPOSE. My local libraries are seriously underfunded and constantly at risk of closure. It saddens me, as I have been a big user of the library since childhood and still use it regularly. Sometimes I have been known to return books a day late on purpose so that I can pay £1 or so in fines. It feels like I am making a small contribution to keeping it open. Unfortunately they don't take donations so this is my only real option.

10. I CRIED WHEN I GOT MY FIRST eARC. It was The Leveller by Julia Durango and when I received the acceptance email I blubbed for a good few minutes. Not because I felt like a real blogger or that I had achieved anything, but because I wanted to read it and didn't have to wait.

What are you willing to confess? Share in the comments!


Posted in , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

5 Responses to Meme: Top 10 Reader/Blogger Confessions

  1. I have a few of those confessions on my imaginary confessional list too. Congrats on the new blog. Look forward to reading your reviews both the fab and not so fab and the meh in between. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great - try audiobooks for menial tasks. I play them while I drive, while i clean, mow the lawn, weed, fold clothes, cook dinner. You know, all those tasks that require the visual brain but not much else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I have been trying Steph. As long as my hands are moving I'm awake but I do keep losing focus and missing chunks of story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post. I didn't cry when I got my first ARC but I did gush a lot, just ask my kids. (they don't get "it") I don't get easily distracted. I can blog with 4 kids and my Miguel in my room talking and the tv on. I have learned to block everything out.
    I am right there with you and audio books. I listen to books on my kindle, but I always speed it up. The average human can say 400 words a minute, but we can process about 1000. It is not your fault your mind wanders, it is designed to do so.
    I am glad I found your site via Fangs, Wands & Fairy Dust.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi BlueKaren.
    Oh, I cried. I actually sobbed. It felt like I had been accepted into the world of book blogging somehow.

    As for getting distracted, I can write a Uni assignment with the TV on and kiddo talking to me, but tell me to write a review and I blank unless it's silent.

    I will definitely take your advice on speeding up ebooks too. Thanks.

    Thanks for dropping by. x

    ReplyDelete

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.